[Distutils] Using Wheel with zipimport

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Jan 29 22:50:21 CET 2014

Nick Coghlan wrote:
> Otherwise we'd have to define a whole new format for something that
> can be adequately handled by a wheel that meets certain restrictions,
> and that would be pointless (we already have too many formats, and we
> wanted the wheel format to offer a strict superset of the egg format's
> capabilities).

Would it help if zipimportable wheels were given a
different extension? The format could be exactly the
same (except perhaps for a flag in the metadata) but
users would be able to immediately tell whether a
particular wheel was zipimportable without having to
run a tool.

We would need a suitably catchy name for them too.
Zippy wheels? Fast wheels? Hotwheels?

--
Greg