[Distutils] PEP 427

Evgeny Sazhin eugene at sazhin.us
Wed Jan 29 23:36:52 CET 2014

I'm sorry for possible dup, but for whatever reason i don't see this
email reaching the list, so i'm resending.

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 12:50 PM, Evgeny Sazhin <eugene at sazhin.us> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 9:11 AM, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> > Does it mean that it actually makes sense to look into that
>> > direction and make wheel usage closer to jar?
>>
>> There is a parallel discussion going on, with the title "Using Wheel with zipimport",
>> which is relevant to this question, and other questions you raised (e.g. about
>> supporting C extensions/pure-Python modules.

I read all of it and got a bit lost in between the distil API and PEP
process discussion;)

>> > I have no knowledge about c extensions scope, but i feel
>> > like it might be of less importance then pure python
>> > packaging issues? Am I wrong?
>>
>> A lot of Python users depend on C extensions - and while it is a subset of all Python
>> users, it is a large (and important) subset. Example: any usage of Python in
>> numerical analysis or scientific applications involves use of C extensions.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Vinay Sajip

I can see that it might be quite beneficial to have virtualenv and pip
installing wheels locally for development needs, so here is what i was
able to come up with so far:

I have one folder on NFS where all python developed stuff should be
*deployed* - pyhtonlib. It is impossible to use pip or virtualenv
there - so i'm bound to artifacts. The only way something can appear
there is by using the "release" program that knows how to put
artifacts in specified locations. Currently most of the stuff there is
the .py modules and few eggs (some are executable). But this stuff is
not allowing for sane dependency management, neither code reuse. I
actually don't like the idea of specifying dependencies in the code
via sys.path. I think the resolved sys.path based on requirements.txt
is much better solution.

So i'm looking for a solution that would allow to use the same
artifact for everything (like jar) so it can guarantee that the same
subset of code that was tested, goes to production and used in dev.
Currently I'm leaning towards using pip's capability to work with flat
folders via --find-links, so i can deploy wheels to the pythonlib and
then reuse them in the development environment.

But in this setup how do i make my program executable from pythonlib
location? I think I should I create some smart runner script that
would be able to use the pip's dependency resolution, create the
necessary sys.path basing on the wheel requirements.txt and then my
program wheel should have an entry point like __main__.py

As Nick pointed out the wheel is a superset of the egg - so I assume
wheels can be executable, correct? How do i achieve that?

Thanks  a lot!
Eugene