[Distutils] PEP 427

Evgeny Sazhin eugene at sazhin.us
Thu Jan 30 04:47:44 CET 2014

> Wheel is a package format. Packages are for transmitting and installing bits. If you want to make some kind of self-unpacking executable please do it with something built for it. makeself is an excellent choice for these.

I didn’t say anything about self-unpacking executable. Egg already knows to do what is needed, so i was correct in expecting the wheel to do the same. Plus the notion of packages for transmitting and installing should not exclude the running and importing. Otherwise it is useless, at least for my purposes. As discussed before - jar does that just fine and it is a package format.

Funny thing - wheel allows to do the same! Why would i want to use anything else then???

Thanks,
Eugene