[Distutils] Using Wheel with zipimport

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 30 10:09:40 CET 2014

On Thu, 30/1/14, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:

> Also end user.
> If, as a user, I want to use inplace builds and PYTHONPATH
> instead of virtualenvs for whatever reason, that should be
> supported. Setuptools inserting stuff to sys.path that come
> before PYTHONPATH entries is quite annoying.

If tool developers want to offer end users the option to control how they work
with sys.path, that's up to them. For example, once the details are worked out,
the distil tool will probably get a --mountable option for the package command,
which will write metadata into the built wheel indicating whether the wheel is
addable to sys.path or not (based on the builder's knowledge of the wheel's
contents). Distlib, when asked to mount a wheel (add it to sys.path) will check
the mountability metadata and honour the wheel publisher's intent.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip