[Distutils] wheels on sys.path clarification (reboot)

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Thu Jan 30 19:19:49 CET 2014

On 30 Jan 2014, at 17:27, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 30/1/14, Eric V. Smith <eric at trueblade.com> wrote:
>
>> The flag really needs to convey 2 meanings:
>>  - - There are some C extensions here that can't be loaded
>>       unless they live on a real filesystem path.
>> - - There is some code (maybe in this package, maybe in
>>      another package that uses this one) that uses this
>>      package's __file__, and that code  won't work unless
>>      __file__ points to a real filesystem path.

[…]

> My view is that there are probably two different assertions: one is
> "will run from wheel" (I say wheel rather than zip, since wheel
> implies a place to put that metadata) and the other is "The C
> extensions are mandatory”.

It’s not just wheels, the same information can be used by application
 bundlers like py2exe and py2app to recognise if a particular component
can be included in a zipfile.

Py2app currently includes all python code in a zip file within an
application bundle, unless a python package is on a manually maintained
list of software that won’t work that way.

Ronald