[Distutils] Using Wheel with zipimport

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Thu Jan 30 22:11:34 CET 2014

On Jan 30, 2014, at 1:21 PM, Noah Kantrowitz <noah at coderanger.net> wrote:

> On Jan 30, 2014, at 1:09 AM, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>> On Thu, 30/1/14, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Also end user.
>>> If, as a user, I want to use inplace builds and PYTHONPATH
>>> instead of virtualenvs for whatever reason, that should be
>>> supported. Setuptools inserting stuff to sys.path that come
>>> before PYTHONPATH entries is quite annoying.
>>
>> If tool developers want to offer end users the option to control how they work
>> with sys.path, that's up to them. For example, once the details are worked out,
>> the distil tool will probably get a --mountable option for the package command,
>> which will write metadata into the built wheel indicating whether the wheel is
>> addable to sys.path or not (based on the builder's knowledge of the wheel's
>> contents). Distlib, when asked to mount a wheel (add it to sys.path) will check
>> the mountability metadata and honour the wheel publisher's intent.
>>

> For everyone following along, the PEP has been updated. http://hg.python.org/peps/rev/26983acc9c11
>
> If anyone has comments on the next text you can find it at http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0427/#is-it-possible-to-import-python-code-directly-from-a-wheel-file
>
> I hope we can discuss further changes as a group before they are pushed live.
>
> --Noah

The updated text is fine with me as it at least accurately documents the fact that using that
feature is fraught with peril and reads more of a documentation of the behavior than
anything else.

So thanks for the final (I hope?) update Nick, and sorry this thread got all ragey.

On the plus side this spurred me into trying to put the thoughts I’ve had for a newer Wheel
format down into a PEP and I think it’s turning out well so far :]

Donald Stufft