[Distutils] pip, virtualenv, setuptools on Windows

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Mon Jul 7 15:25:10 CEST 2014

On 07.07.2014 15:20, Vinay Sajip wrote:
> ISTM the click-on-an-MSI-and-everything-works may be OK for a "system-wide" installation for a given version of Python, but I don't see how that can work with venvs (it's the same problem as for bdist_wininst installers). How would one pass the venv (to install into) to a point-and-click installer, without using a command line? Drag-and-drop onto a venv folder is a possibility, but that's not exactly the conventional usage idiom for MSIs.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough: I am talking about bootstrapping
a Windows system Python installation with pip, setuptools and
virtualenv.

Once this is done, virtualenvs can be setup as usual from the
command line. The problem is getting to that point easily :-)

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jul 07 2014)
2014-07-21: EuroPython 2014, Berlin, Germany ...           14 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/