[Distutils] setup.py sdist not including my README.md

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 20:38:48 CEST 2014

On 17 Jul 2014 05:28, "Richard Jones" <richard at python.org> wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback, Josh.
>
> The Python 3 version of the distutils documentation is far improved on
this topic, I believe (though please, file a bug / change if you can
improve it :)

>    https://docs.python.org/3/distutils/sourcedist.html#manifest
>
> The setuptools documentation is part of the repository at
https://bitbucket.org/pypa/setuptools/src in the docs directory, so you
could file a bug against that project, or even submit a pull request to it
if you're comfortable with that.

> I believe it would be sensible to redirect from the distribute
documentation to setuptools... what does distutils-sig think? I also
noticed that the setuptools project front page (aka the README) still
promotes easy_install - should that be updated?

I believe Marcus Smith is trying to coordinate efforts to bring the docs of
the various PyPA projects up to date and providing a consistent message.
Another part of that is getting the setuptools docs to a point where they
stand alone, without depending on folks also going to read parts of the
distutils docs.

It's all tricky to prioritise though - "providing a better experience for
new users" tends to be a much weaker motivation for volunteer effort than
"make the tooling better for me personally".

Cheers,
Nick.

>      Richard
>

> On 16 July 2014 22:47, Joshua Richardson <jricjr3 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > And don't forget to include MANIFEST.in in MANIFEST.in.

 That

http://guide.python-distribute.org/creation.html or at
https://pythonhosted.org/setuptools/setuptools.html#including-data-files .

>> Reading the documentation at
https://docs.python.org/2/distutils/sourcedist.html#manifest , I got the
impression that I should list the raw file names (or patterns) without the
include directive.