[Distutils] setuptools develop command garbles binary files specified as scripts setup() parameter on windows

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 22:21:44 CEST 2014

On 17 Jul 2014 16:15, "David Genest" <david.genest at ubisoft.com> wrote:

> > For the record, the current draft of the python.commands extension in
PEP 459 does indeed include support for reporting prebuilt
http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0459/#the-python-commands-extension
> > The draft metadata extensions haven't really been properly reviewed
yet, though. For pip 1.6, Donald and I have been focused on
> > hammering PEP 440 into shape.
>
> I agree that this would help, and in fact solve the problem. But only in
newer python releases.

No, the focus of packaging efforts has moved to pip and setuptools
specifically to avoid that problem - when metadata 2.0 is adopted, it will
be supported at least as far back as Python 2.7, and likely on 2.6 as well.

The only requirement will be to use setuptools (or another metadata 2.0
compatible build system) and pip (or another metadata 2.0 compatible
installer) rather than using distutils directly.

Cheers,
Nick.