[Distutils] Other ideas from today's packaging meetup at EuroPython

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Thu Jul 24 17:57:24 CEST 2014

On July 24, 2014 at 7:28:55 AM, Richard Jones (r1chardj0n3s at gmail.com) wrote:
Several great ideas came out of today's meetup. Some of those I'll leave to the proponents themselves to post about, but a couple of little nuggets for thought:

1. reject wheel uploads in the absence of an sdist in the index (the linux guys were really happy about that as a proposal ;)
This is gonna make openstack sad I think… They were relying on the fact that pip prior to 1.4 didn’t install Wheels, and pip 1.4+ has the pre-releases are excluded by default logic to publish pre-releases safely to PyPI.

I’m not generally opposed though. Just stating that this will prevent that “trick” from working.

2. add a system-wide configuration option to pip etc. so that there could be a system-wide override of the package index to use
Yea this was already on my list of things to do when I refactor the configuration stuff to use locations which are more in line with what the OS norms are (XDG on *nix, ~/Library on OSX, %AppData% stuff on Windows).

--
Donald Stufft
PGP: 0x6E3CBCE93372DCFA // 7C6B 7C5D 5E2B 6356 A926 F04F 6E3C BCE9 3372 DCFA