[Distutils] Other ideas from today's packaging meetup at EuroPython

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 10:36:15 CEST 2014

On 25 Jul 2014 17:46, "Chris Withers" <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:

> On 24/07/2014 17:44, Daniel Holth wrote:
>>
>> Also, reject uploads that are not released under a DFSG license
>

> What's a DFSG license>
>
>> or lack
>> man pages.
>

> Are you serious?

I took it as a sarcastic comment cryptically expressing disagreement with
the notion of accommodating reasonable requests from redistributors by
positing a slippery slope argument where we start asking upstream to
enforce evermore of our policy guidelines to make our lives easier, even
when those changes aren't of any benefit to *arbitrary* redistributors (let
alone folks doing their own system integration). With a Linux vendor
employee responsible for approving the packaging metadata PEPs, I think
it's a reasonable concern (although it could have been better expressed).

However, while access to a source tarball (or the ability to create one) is
indeed a gating criterion for entry to downstream build systems, I don't
think *mandating* source package upload to PyPI is a necessary part of the
answer. We can nudge people in that direction, and make uploading source in
addition to binaries the path of least resistance, but I don't think we
need to cross the line into enforcement. Packages without readily available
source uploads just won't be redistributed (except in cases like OpenStack
where we get the original source from somewhere else).

Cheers,
Nick.