[Distutils] build a wheel with waf instead of setuptools

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Wed Jul 30 01:46:57 CEST 2014

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 7:21 AM, Daniel Holth <dholth at gmail.com> wrote:

> > This kind of thing will require us to implement a flag that tells pip
> > "setup.py cannot install; go through wheel" which is somewhere in the
> > plans..

couldn't you write a file called "setup.py", with the core API (i.e
setup.py build | install), but that called waf instead of distutils to do
the actual work?

or does pip doe more than simply call the setup.py script?

-Chris

>  > I don’t think there is any plans to tell pip *not* to use a setup.py
> and to
> > use a Wheel instead. Rather I think the plans are to enable pluggable
> > builders so that a sdist 2.0 package doesn’t rely on setup.py and could
> use
> > a waf builder (for instance) plugin.
>
> Just a flag that tells pip it can't use the "install" command and has
> to do package -> install package on an sdist.

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov