[Distutils] Support for multiple PyPI publishing identities is rather convoluted

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 21:30:38 CEST 2014

Hello,

On Sun, 1 Jun 2014 12:10:01 -0700
Noah Kantrowitz <noah at coderanger.net> wrote:

> On Jun 1, 2014, at 8:02 AM, Paul Sokolovsky <pmiscml at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > My usecase is: I work on different projects in parallel, with
> > different roles. For example, I work on community project and
> > publish packages on behalf of it, and I publish personal packages
> > too. Obviously, I want to have 2 separate PyPI publishing accounts
> > for those roles. Also, I don't want to cleanup after dumb mistakes,
> > so want to explicitly specify an identity to use for each
> > publishing operation, and get an error if I don't.
>
> PyPI has an ACL system to make this unnecessary. You can use a
> single account, and for the community project just grant multiple
> people access.

Unnecessary what exactly? On my packages' PyPI pages, I want to have
"Package Index Owner: pfalcon", and on other packages' pages, I don't
want to have "pfalcon" (and want to have another specific username).
Having it otherwise would be misrepresentation of package origin.

If "single account" can do that (that would be a surprise), I'd
appreciate a link to materials I can read up on the matter.

--
Best regards,
 Paul                          mailto:pmiscml at gmail.com