[Distutils] Remaining tasks before metadata 2.0 can be accepted (was Re: The PEP 426 defined metadata version will be metadata 3.0)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 06:22:18 CET 2014

On 27 February 2014 10:46, Marcus Smith <qwcode at gmail.com> wrote:
> that would be good.  If you did, I would link to the tasks from the PUG
> future page.

OK, these are the things I consider blockers for an accepted metadata 2.0 spec:

https://bitbucket.org/pypa/pypi-metadata-formats/issues?priority=blocker&status=open&status=new

Finalising PEP 426/440/459 is on me. At this point, I think that
consists of *taking away* things that aren't yet settled (specifically
metadata hooks), so we can see how far this next iteration actually
gets us before trying to solve the remaining problems that need some
kind of trigger support.

A required preliminary task is to create a revision of PEP 425 that
expands its scope to also handle the parts of the file/directory
naming scheme that are common across sdist, wheel and the installation
database (with compatibility tags becoming a subsection), as well as
fixing the definition of the compatibility tags to better handle
Windows and Python 2.x binary extensions. (There's a separate
non-blocker issue for better Linux/POSIX support - building from
source is far more common there, and both conda and Linux distro
packages remain available as a near-term workaround for the lack of
upstream binary packages)

The other blockers are then sdist 2.0, wheel 1.1 and a second revision
of the installation database format.

There are more issues in that repo, but they're ones that I don't
consider *essential* as part of a usable metadata 2.0 spec - they're
about things like Linux binary support, distributing full applications
in addition to libraries and handling things that may require the
ability to run code at installation time. Once metadata 2.0 itself is
published, we can likely explore several of them as extensions before
committing to anything in the core PEPs.

Cheers,
Nick.