[Distutils] Warehouse XMLRPC

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Thu Mar 6 13:28:00 CET 2014

On Mar 6, 2014, at 4:10 AM, Marius Gedminas <marius at pov.lt> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 05, 2014 at 07:01:49AM -0500, Donald Stufft wrote:
>> On Mar 5, 2014, at 5:48 AM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> JSON-RPC is a better choice for recommended external API,
>>> because it doesn't rely on memory hungry and potentially unsafe
>>> XML libraries.

>> XMLRPC is used in order to maintain compatibility with what is already
>> there. Something better will replace it eventually and XMLRPC will be
>> deprecated.
>
> This is a bit confusing to me now.
>
> You're reacting as if anatoly suggested a new JSON interface to
> replace the legacy XML-RPC one.

Well specifically he said JSON-RPC is better than XMLRPC which sounds like
he was disagreeing with Warehouse implementing the XMLRPC interface. If
that wasn’t the case then I misunderstood :) I don’t think an RPC interface
is really needed at all for PyPI.

> But the old PyPI codebase already had a JSON API[1].  I'm using it to keep
> track of Python 3 support status of about 800 packages maintained by the
> Zope Foundation: http://zope3.pov.lt/py3/
>
>  [1] https://wiki.python.org/moin/PyPIJSON
>
> I assume at some point Warehouse will add support for the JSON API and
> you'll issue a call for testing?

Richard has actually already implemented it! But in testing it just now I see it
is failing on the server but isn’t locally for me so I’ll need to see why that is the
case.