[Distutils] tourist here, with a dumb RTFM question

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 6 20:59:14 CET 2014

Michael Bayer <mike_mp <at> zzzcomputing.com> writes:

> I don’t know the metadata format in pep426 well enough to comment (as I
wanted to use it one day and found
> that it seemed to still be pretty much vapor), but I’ll reiterate: these
are source distributions, not
> binaries or wheels or anything like that.  A source distro has to build,
and builds need options.    A metadata
> format that purports to represent metadata about a source distribution and
does not support flags is a
> broken metadata format.

PEP 426 only covers installation metadata - its scope does not cover source
distributions (there will be another PEP covering that).

Apart from the most recent changes being not yet implemented and some open
issues relating to hooks, PEP 426 seems to cover installation metadata
reasonably well. However, sdist metadata is a different kettle of fish.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip