[Distutils] Is build an inherently arbitrary-code process?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 22:23:42 CET 2014

On 28 Mar 2014 05:42, "Daniel Holth" <dholth at gmail.com> wrote:

> I became convinced that build was an inherently arbitrary-code
> process, and not something to be universally handled by a declarative
> system,

It wasn't an accident that last years PyCon panel was subtitled "setup.py
*install* must die" :)

As others have suggested, declarative build will never be more than an 80%
solution, and then beyond that, it should be a question of plumbing to
invoke the project's own build system (and ideally that plumbing will be
per build system, not per project).

Cheers,
Nick.