[Distutils] DOAP on PyPI

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 01:09:53 CET 2014

On 30 March 2014 09:31, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
> Further more it appears interest in DOAP as a whole isn't very high, the
> GitHub repository [1] has had 10 commits ever, 2 of which are importing the
> history of the project 2 years ago, 2 of which are merge commits for two
> different pull requests, and the remaining 6 come from the two pull requests.
> The mailing list [2] has had no traffic since 2012.
>
> So I would like to remove this functionality from PyPI by not implementing it
> in Warehouse. It appears to be practically unused and the DOAP project itself
> seems to have stalled or died. Is there anyone depending on DOAP? Would anyone
> be upset if this went away?

I get the impression that SPDX killed it: https://spdx.org/

While there are still a couple of references to DOAP defined fields in
the SPDX spec, I suspect your overall impression that the DOAP format
itself is dead is correct.

So yeah, skipping implementing those URLs for the migration makes
sense to me. If anyone complains, we can always add them back later (I
doubt anyone will complain, though).

Cheers,
Nick.