[Distutils] PEP 438, pip and --allow-external (was: "pip: cdecimal an externally hosted file and may be unreliable" from python-dev)

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Fri May 9 17:56:09 CEST 2014

On May 9, 2014, at 11:41 AM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> OK, basically I get what you mean now.
>
> On 9 May 2014 16:37, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
>> You’re unlikely to ever encounter an issue where adding —allow-external
>> actually helps you, but adding it does make it more likely you’ll be hurt.
>
> Well, it helps me in that I never need to think about whether I mean
> allow-external or allow-unverifiable. That's a win, IMO...
> Paul

Right, but I think a similar win can be had just by folding —allow-external
into —allow-unverifiable and make it —allow-off-pypi (needs a better name,
maybe just keep it as --allow-external?). This would effectively mean that
an end user cannot say "allow safe downloading X externally but disallow
downloading it unsafely externally".

I'm normally someone who advocates towards better decisions on the security
side of things, however if most people are going to need to use the
--allow-unverifiable flag anyways then I think the benefits of having the
two separated isn't very large. There is still a benefit to not installing
externally hosted things by default which is why I think that just rolling
the two options together is better.

Donald Stufft