[Distutils] PEP 438, pip and --allow-external (was: "pip: cdecimal an externally hosted file and may be unreliable" from python-dev)

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sun May 11 17:04:02 CEST 2014

On 11 May 2014 09:50, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Let me be clear: this is *not* a technical decision from my perspective. It
> is a relationship management one, specifically in regards to maintaining the
> still fragile delegation of authority from python-dev to PyPA.

Nick,
Given that the current behaviour is directly mandated by PEP 438, it
seems to me that this is even more so a decision about the authority
of approved PEPs. If the decision is that pip implement any behaviour
that contradicts the wording in PEP 438, that to my mind calls into
question whether packaging PEPs are authoritative documents at all.

If changes are needed to resolve Stefan's and MAL's concerns, doing so
via changes to PEP 438 would be a much better approach, as the PyPA
have no special voice in such a debate. That's essentially the whole
purpose of the packaging PEP process.

Paul

PS To my knowledge, neither distil nor easy_install implement PEP 438,
so I understand that the distinction between pip and the PEP is
somewhat obscure. But that's not our fault - feel free to complain to
the maintainers of those installers about PEP compliance if you feel
it'd help...