[Distutils] Need for respect (was: PEP 438, pip and --allow-external)

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Mon May 12 13:34:29 CEST 2014

Given the thread on python-dev and comments I have read elsewhere,
I would like to remind everyone in this discussion to come back to
a respectful attitude towards the issues being discussed and the
people involved.

I am writing this as Python core developer and as PSF board member.
PyPI is run by the PSF and both the PSF as well as the core developers
have a responsibility to keep the Python eco system a friendly,
open and inviting place to be.

This includes accepting that package authors and companies do have
reasons for not using PyPI to host packages, which some developers
may not follow or find reasonable.

PyPI as community resource still has to make sure that these
package authors are not singled out and can publish their packages
just like other authors who can host their packages on PyPI.

What we can do is mandate security requirements, to make sure
that the users downloading packages via the PyPI index get the
packages that the package author registered, and I'm sure many
authors will understand and respect such added requirements, but
we may not marginalize these authors for not wanting to host on the
PSF infrastructure.

Think about it: PyPI has become a great hosting platform in the last
year, it's attractive to host packages on the platform and this also
shows in the number of package authors that have decided to switch
over to PyPI for hosting.

The ones that don't, will have good reasons not to host on PyPI.
We need to respect those reasons, not question them, and,
if possible, improve the infrastructure to make it more inviting
for them to join in.

We should also reach out to the package authors that currently
do not host on PyPI to find out what their reasons are and
whether we can do something to help convince them.

Note: I haven't yet read the whole thread on the distutils list,
but do want everyone to keep the above in mind when discussing
the topic.

Thank you,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, May 12 2014)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/