[Distutils] PEP 470 - Using Multi Index Support for External to PyPI Package File Hosting

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu May 15 10:09:59 CEST 2014

On 15 May 2014 00:03, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I’ve just published a draft of PEP 470 - Using Multi Index Support for
>> External to PyPI Package File Hosting
>>
>> You can see this online at http://legacy.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0470/ or
>> read below
>>

> For the record: I reviewed Donald's initial draft of this PEP and did some
> light copy editing when adding it to the PEPs repo, so this PEP can be taken
> as reflecting my perspective as well.

FWIW, +1 from me. The model is clean and understandable, and uses the
existing --extra-index-url feature in pip, so we're not introducing an
untried approach (with all the potential for getting the UI wrong that
implies).

Setting up an index is pretty straightforward for anyone already doing
their own hosting, and people using places like Sourceforge where
adding a static index might be problematic, could host one on their
project's pythonhosted.org area. So it's hard to see the cost of
maintaining an index as a blocker for projects.

Paul.