[Distutils] PEP 470 - Using Multi Index Support for External to PyPI Package File Hosting

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu May 15 11:12:43 CEST 2014

On 15.05.2014 01:03, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> On 15 May 2014 01:07, "Donald Stufft" <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
>>
>> I’ve just published a draft of PEP 470 - Using Multi Index Support for
> External to PyPI Package File Hosting
>>
>> You can see this online at http://legacy.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0470/ or
> read below
>>

> For the record: I reviewed Donald's initial draft of this PEP and did some
> light copy editing when adding it to the PEPs repo, so this PEP can be
> taken as reflecting my perspective as well.
>
> Of the two currently implemented external hosting mechanisms, the "multiple
> indexes" model is more general, more explicit, easier to implement, much
> easier to explain and has much cleaner failure modes than the link
> spidering mechanism. The only missing piece is automated external index
> discovery, so adding that is included as part of this PEP. That federated
> discovery mechanism then clears the way for eventually dropping the link
> spidering mechanism (and all its associated complexity and complications)
> entirely.

+1 on the general idea. I do have some issue with some aspects of
the PEP and will respond in more detail in a separate email.

With regard to the index discovery, I'd like to suggest that we
use the existing download_url for this - along the lines I had
suggested last year and what eGenix is already using for such
index pages already (we switched to it as proof of concept
last year).

I'll work out a proposal and send it here later this week.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, May 15 2014)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/