[Distutils] PEP 470 - Using Multi Index Support for External to PyPI Package File Hosting

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu May 15 13:34:31 CEST 2014

daniele.sluijters at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Has anyone considered what this will mean for people on distributions
> > that ship older pip versions that can't be upgraded outside of the
> > release cycle (like Debian and Redhat)?
> >

> So a nice property of this, is that degrades gracefully. The things we
need in
> the installer to actually make the core functionality (specifying
additional
> locations) work has existed for a very long time. The piece of the
> functionality that they'd be missing is the UX around discovering the
> additional index. We could/should probably also indicate this location on
the
> PyPI project page so that would help with this some.

I was more thinking of automated use cases that are currently working, but
would need to switch command line options or config settings for the change
described in the PEP.

We'll want to take that into account when deciding how long to make the
server half of the deprecation period for existing externally hosted
projects.

Cheers,
Nick.