[Distutils] PEP440 Version Specifier Syntax

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue May 20 02:57:57 CEST 2014

On 20 May 2014 10:30, "Donald Stufft" <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
> Are we planning on putting these someplace where we can't unambiguously
parse
> them? AFAIK in both the key:value form and the JSON form of the metadata
are
> perfectly capable (and it is in fact no different processing wise) of
handling
> them. AFAICT we're never going to rely on adhoc parsing here, at least we
> shouldn't, so we don't need any help from the specifier in discerning
between
> two different ones.
>
> Even if this is for the interchange format there is value in having it
> consistent both for the benefit of the humans reading the interchange
format
> and for the benefit of the tooling so that they don't have to maintain two
> different code paths to parse these.

As in, have the "no parens" option be the normalised form and leave it to
tools like d2to1 to strip the parens when necessary?

I guess that would work. All the cases of accepting version specifiers for
multiple dependencies in PEP 426 use a JSON list now, so the individual
version specifiers always have surrounding quotes. The parenthesis
requirement made more sense in the absence of that higher level structure.

Cheers,
Nick.

> Donald Stufft
> PGP: 0x6E3CBCE93372DCFA // 7C6B 7C5D 5E2B 6356 A926 F04F 6E3C BCE9 3372
DCFA