[Distutils] setup_requires and install_requires

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun May 25 15:23:38 CEST 2014

On 25 May 2014 19:15, Toby St Clere Smithe <mail at tsmithe.net> wrote:
> Hi Nick,
>
> Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> writes:
>> Could you let us know what your path was in looking? I thought the trail
>> from docs.python.org -> packaging.python.org -> the Projects page -> the
>> respective GitHub/BitBucket pages was reasonably clear now (with the length
>> being inherent in the complexity of the problem), but the current
>> arrangements are all still relatively new, so it also doesn't surprise me
>> there are still discoverability problems.
>
> Well, I was unable to get from the first to the second step, but I
> suspect I was searching for a bug tracker related to distutils (because
> this group is named for distutils). When I found a setuptools tracker, I
> found [1], which didn't seem quite right -- and now I've found the
> setuptools documentation (which seems to be on pythonhosted.org, not
> docs.python.org, the latter of which only seems to have distutils, and
> does not link as far as I can see to the setuptools tracker), I wonder
> why the bug tracker (or this list) is only linked from [2] and not from
> the higher-level [3]; [2] isn't a particularly discoverable place.

Ah, the, distutils tracker is actually bugs.python.org, but that's not
generally what people want - as you did, they want the setuptools
issue tracker on BitBucket, since distutils in the standard library
isn't really getting major updates any more.

> Also, the link from [2] to the tracker only takes you to [4], not to
> [5], which I would expect. That I was sent to [4] made me think that I
> had been sent to the wrong place, until I found the small paragraph at
> the bottom of the page.  Note that [1] is top of a Google search (for
> me) for "setuptools bug".

I filed a couple of proposed changes:

Getting a suitable banner added to bugs.python.org/setuptools:
http://psf.upfronthosting.co.za/roundup/meta/issue546
Changing the setuptools metadata to link back to BitBucket from PyPI:
https://bitbucket.org/pypa/setuptools/pull-request/54/

The docs daisy chain I was talking about was the one starting from
https://docs.python.org/3/installing/ and
https://docs.python.org/3/distributing/index.html, which eventually
gets you to https://packaging.python.org/en/latest/projects.html

However, that's not going to be relevant when someone already knows
generally how everything works and is specifically hunting for a bug
tracker link for distutils/setuptools.

Cheers,
Nick.