[Distutils] Call for information - What assumptions can I make about Unix users' access to Windows?

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 12:13:36 CET 2014

On 7 November 2014 16:15, Jonathan Helmus <jjhelmus at gmail.com> wrote:
> This sounds like a very useful project.  I do most my development in Linux
> or OS X but occasionally spin up a Windows VM locally or in the cloud to
> produce some Python wheels or conda packages.  The one annoyance I find is
> that I need to use an RDP client to connect to the instance as opposed to
> using ssh as I do when connecting to a Unix machine.  If the VM could
> support ssh connections this would reduce this burden.  I am not familiar
> enough with Windows to know how feasible this is but it would allow Unix
> users to use the tools they are likely already familiar with.

Thanks, that's very useful feedback. I agree, the need for RDP is very
Windows-specific - I don't know how common RDP tools are for Unix, but
I can easily imagine it's a nuisance to set one up. I'm not aware of
any ssh implementations for Windows (other than cygwin, which probably
has other issues) but I'll see what I can find.

Paul