[Distutils] Call for information - What assumptions can I make about Unix users' access to Windows?

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 23:35:09 CET 2014

On Sun, Nov 9, 2014 at 6:39 PM, Kevin Horn <kevin.horn at gmail.com> wrote:

> Regarding remote access to windows machines, there are several options:
>
> - Remote powershell (not my area, so not sure how viable this is)
> - Use pexec from sysinternals to run cmd.exe remotely (probably on local
> network only, and only from other windows machines, so probably not that
> helpful)
> - Windows comes with a telnet server (obviously not very secure, but you
> could use stunnel/vpn or similar to help here)
> - WinRM (and pywinrm as has been mentioned).  Note that vagrant either
> does or will soon support talking to Windows VMs using this method.

It does (and has for a while).

We at Enthought automate package builds for linux, mac and windows through
fabric (+ winrm on windows) on vagrant-built VMs, and it works well when
you need a consistent interface to those environments. We have been
building packages as involved as Qt, Pyside or scipy with native MS tools
through this way, so I am confident this would work for almost every
situation of interest here.

David