[Distutils] PEP 470, round 4 - Using Multi Repository Support for External to PyPI Package File Hosting

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Fri Oct 3 16:42:43 CEST 2014

On Fri, Oct 03, 2014 at 02:05:50AM -0400, Donald Stufft wrote:
> Using this additional location within pip is also simple and can be included
> on a per invocation, per shell, or per user basis. The pip 6.0 will also
> include the ability to configure this on a per virtual environment or per
> machine basis as well. This can be as simple as:
>
> ::
>
>     $ # As a CLI argument
>     $ pip install --extra-index-url https://index.example.com/ myproject
>     $ # As an environment variable
>     $ PIP_EXTRA_INDEX_URL=https://pypi.example.com/ pip install myproject
>     $ # With a configuration file
>     $ echo "[global]\nextra-index-url = https://pypi.example.com/" > ~/.pip/pip.conf
>     $ pip install myproject

This is where I get a question: what do I do if package X wants an
extra repository FOO, and package Y wants an extra repository BAR, and
my project relies on both X and Y?

I assume the --extra-index-url=URL argument to pip install can be
repeated multiple times.  It's less clear what to do about environment
variables or config file settings.  Do I specify space-separated URLs?
Newline separated?

An example would be good.

Marius Gedminas
--