[Distutils] PEP 470, round 4 - Using Multi Repository Support for External to PyPI Package File Hosting

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Fri Oct 3 20:28:00 CEST 2014

On Sat, Oct 04, 2014 at 00:24 +1000, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> On 3 October 2014 22:02, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
>
> > As far as simplication goes, I don't believe it simplifies the implementation
> > of PyPI at all, it just shuffles things around and creates work on my part
> > in order to get PyPI supporting the new stuff. It does however let installers
> > become simpler and it enables installers to present accurate error information
> > that actually helps determine the root cause of a failure instead of the
> > current silent failure with a confusing error message model.
> >
> > I look forward to your suggestions, but I'm not hopeful. I've been thus far
> > unable to determine a way to improve the current solution in a way that isn't
> > just papering over one problem without solving the fundamental issue.
>
> Donald's perspective here matches my own.

I don't see the "the fundamental issue" that PEP470 tries to solve.
The first para of the abstract says it wants to substitute the existing
mechanism for registering external indexes with another one.  It doesn't
say why.  And it doesn't say why this can't be done in a backward
compatible manner which would be preferable (i hope we agree there).

And because the PEP doesn't precisely say what "fundamental issue"
it solves it's a bit hard to present an alternative.  If it's about
focusing on "multi-repository operations" and simplifying installer UI
it could be done with full backward compat:

- add PyPI maintainer UI to add external indexes along with a message

- change pip to disallow crawling to an external index it finds
  but rather present a message that you need to add the index
  manually to your installer invocation. (pip already finds external
  crawl URLs and it can also find the "new" ones - no need for
  any breakage).

- tell all project maintainers which have "explicit file urls"
  that they need to move their release files to an offsite
  own external index (or to pypi itself) within N months.
  Then disable the file urls (after examination of how many people
  are effected) and remove related un-needed options in pip.

Of course, i leave out some details but overall think it's pretty much
doable.  With this strategy, both old and new versions of pip wold work
fine with the changed PyPI.  It also wouldn't introduce very complicated
transition phases or communication steps.

I postpone other issues with respect to clarity and security of
PEP/multi-repo operations to first get clarity on the backward compat
issue and general strategy.

best,
holger

P.S.: Nick, i think my rough draft above satisfies all of your points
below, although they only partly relate to what we discuss in the PEP
IMHO.