[Distutils] PEP 470, round 4 - Using Multi Repository Support for External to PyPI Package File Hosting

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Fri Oct 3 20:43:47 CEST 2014

> On Oct 3, 2014, at 10:29 AM, Wichert Akkerman <wichert at wiggy.net> wrote:
>

>> On 03 Oct 2014, at 16:24, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2. Easily allow package authors to tell PyPI "my releases are hosted
>> <here>" and have that advertised in such a way that tools can clearly
>> communicate it to users, without silently introducing unexpected
>> dependencies on third party services.
>
> I  haven’t read the PEP, so this might be a stupid remark, but: is that needed, when a package author can also say something like “add my repository to your system with pip —add-repository <url>” ?
>
> Wichert.

So it’s not strictly required, and for pip versions less than 6.0 that’s
essentially what will be happening. However providing that mechanism makes the
discovery story a lot nicer. Instead of ``pip install foo`` coming back with a
“I can’t find any downloads” error, it can come back with a “I can’t find any
downloads, but here is the repositories that the author says they are using”.

Basically it’s an affordance to make the UX of an external repository better.

---
Donald Stufft