[Distutils] some questions about PEP470

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Sun Oct 12 20:27:15 CEST 2014

> On Oct 12, 2014, at 10:29 AM, Stefan Krah <stefankrah at freenet.de> wrote:
>

>> (for example right now bytereef.org is down, so
>> we’d not discover any files there).
>
> Indeed.  It was up reliably since 2005, down for maintenance on
> September 23rd (before ShellShock ...).  Then I discovered that
> someone had put up m3-cdecimal on PyPI (presumably abusing PyPI
> as their private repo --- there are several m3-* packages now).

If you’re this upset over someone redistributing your work, then maybe
Open Source Software is the wrong hobby for you. Nonetheless I told you
how to get that remediated and as of yet I don’t see an open support
request from you on it.

> This triggered some reflection on whether I would make a significant
> effort in the future to keep things running smoothly for an open source
> community where authors are largely viewed as expendable.

Authors are not viewed as expendable. Placing constraints on a system is
just that, placing constraints on a system.

> Subsequently the downtime (again, the first one since 2005) was picked
> up for propagandistic purposes on Twitter and Reddit.

I think you might want to rethink this strategy if it’s your goal, unless
the view point you’re trying to push is that I was right all along because
there are a number of people* who previously didn’t think it was a big deal
but now agree with me since they couldn’t install cdecimal because bytrereef.org
was down.

* That have personally reached out to me.

> Last year I would have felt an obligation to minimize the downtime
> to an hour at most.  I no longer feel any such obligations and I'll
> do it when I have time.

By all means! You don’t owe anyone your time, so if you want to wait
until some other point go for it. Until then, well it’s making my case
for me when people don’t understand why I care, so thanks :)

---
Donald Stufft