[Distutils] some questions about PEP470

Stefan Krah stefankrah at freenet.de
Thu Oct 16 18:33:19 CEST 2014

Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan <at> gmail.com> writes:
> On 15 October 2014 12:20, Stefan Krah <stefankrah <at> freenet.de> wrote:
> >
> > At this point (and possibly before) you are just trolling and not worth
> > any further correspondence.  If some of your feigned surprise questions
> > are actually genuine, I recommend walking away from the keyboard for a
> > couple of weeks and reading some literature.
> > Otherwise it is just a waste of time to attempt any further conversation.

[In case anyone is using a non-threaded view: The above paragraph was
 not directed at Nick.]

> Stefan, I personally apologise if at any point you, or any other
> developer that chooses to use non-PyPI hosting, has ever been (or even
> felt) personally attacked over your hosting choices.

I feel a bit embarrassed, since you have absolutely nothing to apologize
for.  It is a very nice gesture, so thanks!

> There's no way we
> can hope to ensure that folks that are passionate about the end user
> experience offered by the Python packaging ecosystem first come up to
> speed on the subtleties of copyright licensing (and the concerns
> around the current clause in PyPI's conditions of use that ensures,
> amongst other things, the legal right to operate PyPI mirrors) or US
> export restrictions (and the fact that uploading to PyPI requires
> agreeing to abide by them, which may not be an acceptable condition
> for non-US based developers).

Some people who *should* know better have repeatedly engaged in
off-list FUD and personal attacks.  It is nowhere near the level
that, say, Lennart Poettering had to deal with, but enough for me
to lose quite a bit of interest in Python core development.

Stefan Krah