[Distutils] toml

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 21:23:02 CET 2014

On 27 October 2014 19:23, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
> Ugh, I hate TOML. I’m -1 on any of the standards using it, but I also
> think the standards should be around data exchange and should just use
> JSON and leave front end stuff like that up to the implementations.

I had a quick glance at TOML, and I can't say I was particularly
enamoured by it. I don't see that it has any particularly huge
benefits over "plain" ini files (if your needs are simple) or YAML
(ignoring the over-complicated stuff that nobody actually needs).

+1 on JSON for "internal" format, and tools deciding for themselves on
the best user-facing format.

I'm also not sure I see the value of mapping directly to a dict.
Surely internal formats should be isolated from the user interface,
not exposed directly?
Paul