[Distutils] PEP425 - Wheel Binary Package Compatibility

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 10:47:06 CET 2014

On 29 Oct 2014 01:02, "David Cournapeau" <cournape at gmail.com> wrote:

> Practically speaking, there is no such a thing as ABI on Linux: even if
you somehow managed to deal with glibc, you would then need to deal with
fortran ABI, then with C++ ABI, etc... Dealing with this at the python
level is simply intractable. That needs to be handled at the distribution
level, or within a "sumo distribution" like Anaconda from Continuum or
Canopy from Enthought (disclaimer, I work for Enthought), which makes the
problem more tractable by picking up an ABI and stick with it for the full
set of packages.

This is the kind of direction we're also exploring for Fedora & EPEL:
setting up a distro specific devpi instance so we can automatically publish
distro compatible wheel files, as well as separating the distro level
licencing and preliminary security review step from the step of repackaging
in a language independent format. (I need to set up a curated PyPI mirror
for work anyway, and since I work at Red Hat, and the Fedora community are
open to the idea, we're working on it upstream rather than inside the
firewall)

This initial experiment with Python is a pilot - if we can get it to work
in a way that seems sustainable, we'll look to offer it as a supported
service in the Fedora 22 time frame, as well as opening things up for folks
to pitch other language specific stacks.

Cheers,
Nick.