[Distutils] Accepting PEP 440: Version Identification and Dependency Specification

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Tue Sep 2 08:43:41 CEST 2014

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 10:34:39PM +1000, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> I just pushed Donald's final round of edits in response to the
> feedback on the last PEP 440 thread, and as such I'm happy to announce
> that I am accepting PEP 440 as the recommended approach to identifying
> versions and specifying dependencies when distributing Python
> software.
>
> The PEP is available in the usual place at
> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0440/

Awesome!

Minor nit: http://legacy.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0440/#final-releases
still uses the older

  N[.N]+

spelling, which perhaps should be changed to

  N(.N)*

to be consistent with
http://legacy.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0440/#public-version-identifiers
and to make it more apparent at a glance that one number with no dots is
also a valid version identifier.

Marius Gedminas
--
NT 5.0 is the last nail in the Unix coffin. Interestingly, Unix isn't in the
coffin... It's wondering what the heck is sealing itself into a wooden box 6