[Distutils] additional paths in wheel

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Thu Sep 4 20:55:59 CEST 2014

> On Sep 4, 2014, at 1:58 PM, Daniel Holth <dholth at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It's always been obvious that wheel would probably need additional
> paths besides the sysconfig ones, and there's been some discussion
> here recently.
>
> For the next version we should:

The next version of the Wheel spec?

> 1. Add the autoconf dirs.
> https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Directory-Variables.html.
> "packagename-1.0/data/dvidir/" or any of the other autoconf paths
> would be valid, in addition to the existing distutils paths. (The
> autoconf paths are defined relative to a $prefix, in Python's case
> $prefix is usually the base of the virtualenv).

Sounds plausible.

> 2. Replace WHEEL with wheel.json. wheel.json contains all the
> information from WHEEL but is json which is rather popular these days.
>
> wheel.json may contain custom paths with string Template() interpolation.
>
> { "paths": "name":"$prefix/mypath", "othername":"$bindir/etc",
> "thirdname": "$othername/subfolder" }
>
> (the sysconfig names, autoconf names, and custom path names can be
> interpolated here)

I don’t understand this paths stuff, what is it supposed to be doing?

Also with JSON, the problem is the current tooling is now setup to
handle a key: value WHEEL store, so we’ll need some sort of a migration
path for old tools to know that this is a Wheel they can’t handle. It’s
possible that it’s not worth it to do this.

---
Donald Stufft