[Distutils] Metadata extension discovery?

Marcus Smith qwcode at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 21:53:14 CEST 2014

> > The proposal here seems to be that something *else* could add metadata
> > to a distribution, from outside of that distribution.

My specific interest is to use PEP426 extensions as the standard for
defining OS package dependencies for PyPI projects.
Having every PyPI project author handle all this information across all the
Distros and OSs would never work I think.
So the idea is for these extensions to live externally somewhere (maybe one
big communal project, or in per-distro projects).
And if they are external, the question becomes how and when they get used
and combined with the metadata from the distribution.