[Distutils] The Simple API - What URLs are "supported"

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Thu Sep 18 12:17:55 CEST 2014

> On Sep 18, 2014, at 3:48 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> What about an approach where pip first tries the canonical name, and if that fails, tries the exact given name?
>
> Seems to me like that should handle legacy mirrors without the big download.
>
> Cheers,
> Nick.

The exact implementation I had in mind has the /simple/{name}/{version}/ url
being removed immediately since it’s a cost that's *always* paid if you use ==
and as far as I know it's not supported/used anywhere. However the fallback to
/simple/ would go through the 2 release deprecation cycle since it's both
actually useful for use with older mirrors and it's only paid if it needs to
be used right now.

I think that the deprecation cycle is probably fine to handle that, because
even if we do as you suggested we'll still need to fall back to /simple/
because of cases like ``pip install django`` where the "real" name is Django
and we have no way of knowing that.

---
Donald Stufft