[Distutils] Building Python extensions on 64-bit Windows using the SDK compilers

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Wed Sep 24 18:24:21 CEST 2014

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 6:55 AM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the pointer. (Also thanks to Allen Riddell). I'll take a
> look. Ideally, what I'd like to do is write something up to help
> non-Windows experts get things up and running, so this will be very
> useful.

Thanks -- that would be great. But really, why is this so hard? Win64 is
essentially One platform, and the freely available SDK is ONE compiler
environment.

surely it's possible to write a batch script of some sort that you could
put somewhere (or even deliver with python! ) so this would be:

1) download and install THIS (the sdk from MS)

2) run:
    set_up_win_complier.py

3) build the package:
    python setup.py build

without needing to do multiple step, without needing to be in the special
set-up command Window, etc.

In fact, even better would be for distutils to run the mythical
"set_up_win_complier.py" script for you.

distutils does work "out of the box" with the VS2008 Express for 32 bit --
I'm still confused why this is so much harder for 64 bit.

*sigh*

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov