[Distutils] Wheels and dependent third party dlls on windows

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 16:44:18 CEST 2014

On 1 October 2014 00:37, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30 September 2014 15:31, David Genest <david.genest at ubisoft.com> wrote:
>> Ok, so what if the dll is shared in a given environment (multiple extensions use it)?,  the shared dll should be copied to every package? Won't that cause multiple loads by the system?
>
> I honestly don't know in that case, sorry. You might get a better
> answer on python-list for that, if no-one here can help.
>
> Presumably the usage is all within one distribution, otherwise the
> question would have to be, which distribution ships the DLL? But that
> question ends up leading onto the sort of discussion that starts
> "well, I wouldn't design your system the way you have", which isn't
> likely to be of much help to you :-(
>
> Sorry I can't offer any more help.

Note that this is the external binary dependency problem that the
scientific folks are currently using conda to address. It's basically
the point where you cross the line from "language specific packaging
system" to "multi-language cross-platform platform".

That said, pip/wheel *may* get some capabilities along these lines in
the future, it just isn't a high priority at this point.

Cheers,
Nick.