[Distutils] Immutable Files on PyPI

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Sep 30 18:25:31 CEST 2014

On 2014-09-30 12:07:23 -0400 (-0400), Barry Warsaw wrote:
> We had a discussion about this at the recently concluded Debian
> conference. There are folks who only want to use git tags as the
> consumption point for Debian packages, but this opinion was not
> the majority opinion.

Good to know. The Debian Developer packaging the majority of the
projects I work on must be in that minority.

> There's no guarantee that what you get from a tagged upstream
> source revision will match what comes in the sdist tarball.
[...]

Indeed, we've implemented quite a few workarounds specifically
requested by distro packagers who want to be able to ignore our
tarballs and use their own tools/workflow to generate them without
ever even running sdist. It seems backwards to me, but I'm not the
one doing their packaging work.

> Thus, in the Debian Python team our policy is that if upstream produces
> tarballs (as is the case for the vast majority of our packages, which are
> sourced from PyPI), then we want the Debian package to use tarballs.
[...]

Refreshing to hear!
--
Jeremy Stanley