[Distutils] Microsoft Visual C++ Compiler for Python 2.7

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 18:54:01 CEST 2014

On 30 September 2014 17:07, Steve Dower <Steve.Dower at microsoft.com> wrote:
> The answer is basically no chance - the slippery slope was considered and shut down.

Fair enough. Actually, it's good to know that this sort of thing was
thought through.

> If VC14 slips significantly and we have to stick with VC10 for Python 3.5, then I'll make the case again and see what we get, but for now the future story is to upgrade. Luckily, 3.3->3.5 is not going to be as hard as 2.7->3.5.

Agreed - and given that VC14 Express will include 32- and 64-bit
compilers, the whole SDK rigmarole is avoided which was the key pain
point (well, that and the fact that things went out of support, but
the forward compatibility of VC14 addresses that one too).

Paul