[Distutils] pip/warehouse feature idea: "help needed"

Alexander Walters tritium-list at sdamon.com
Mon Apr 13 07:29:23 CEST 2015

On 4/12/2015 21:08, Nick Coghlan wrote:

> Hence the idea of making the feature accessible through the command
> line clients, not just the web service.

For the love of...

Can we get packaging fixed before we start jamming crap onto the tools?
Enough already.   No.  Just No.  Never.  Stop.  Just stop. No.  As a
user of these things, just stop right there.

> I personally believe so, yes - sustaining software over the long term
> is expensive in people's time, but it's often something we take for
> granted. The specific example Guido brought up in his keynote was the
> challenge of communicating a project's openness to Python 3 porting
> assistance.
>
> In the current user experience, if a project we use stops getting
> updated, resentment at the lack of updates is a more likely reaction
> for most of us than concern for whether or not the maintainer is OK.

Again, great idea.  Does not need to be on the index.  Does not even
need to be on the same infrastructure as the index.  I can think of at
least four other places on the web where it will be better suited.  If
the PSF wants to take charge of that, then super.  Put it next to the
job board.

But if you really want to solve the problem through the index, just make
the link to SCM repos mandatory, and thats all you have to, and even
should, do.