[Distutils] Beyond wheels 1.0: helping downstream, FHS and more

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Mon Apr 13 23:25:38 CEST 2015

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 1:19 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com>
wrote:

> This is what we use on top of setuptools egg:
>
>  - ability to add dependencies which are not python packages (I think most
> of it is already handled in metadata 2.0/PEP 426, but I would have to
> re-read the PEP carefully).
>  - ability to run post/pre install/remove scripts
>  - support for all the of the autotools directories, with "sensible"
> mapping on windows

Are these inside or outside the python installation? I'm more than a bit
wary of a wheel that would install stuff outside of the "sandbox" of the
python install.

The whole reason I started this discussion is to make sure wheel has a
> standard way to do what is needed for those usecases.
>
> conda, rpm, deb, or eggs as used in enthought are all essentially the
> same: an archive with a bunch of metadata. The real issue is standardising
> on the exact formats. As you noticed, there is not much missing in the
> wheel *spec* to get most of what's needed.

hmm -- true. I guess where it seems to get more complicated is beyond the
wheel (or conda, or...) package itself, to the dependency management,
installation tools, etc.

But perhaps you are suggesting that we can extend wheel to support a bt
more stuff, and leave the rest of the system as separate problem? i.e.
Canopy can have it's own find, install, manage-dependency tool, but that it
can use the wheel format for the packages themselves?

I don't see why not....

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov