[Distutils] Beyond wheel 1.0: more fine-grained installation scheme

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 15:27:46 CEST 2015

That's exactly what I would like to do. Then
distribution-1.0.data/sysconfdir/file in a wheel would install into
/etc/file in the default scheme, but would probably really wind up in
$VIRTUAL_ENV/etc/... for most of us web developers.

IIRC extra package-1.0-data/* directories in wheel are undefined. I
would have no problem putting fine-grained install schemes in 2.0 and
putting some of the other "wheel 2.0" features into wheel 3.
Incrementing the major version number would cause older pip to reject
the newer wheels, incrementing the minor version would produce a
warning.