[Distutils] Beyond wheels 1.0: helping downstream, FHS and more

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Tue Apr 14 18:10:33 CEST 2015

> If there’s a plugin that understands this extension
> > installed, let it do something before you actually move the files into
> > place”. This let’s Wheels themselves still be declarative and moves the
> > responsibility of implementing these bits into their own PyPI projects
> > that can be versioned and independently upgraded and such. We’d probably
> > need some method of marking an extension as “critical” (e.g. bail out and
> > don’t install this Wheel if you don’t have something that knows how to
> handle
> > it) and then non critical extensions just get ignored if we don’t know
> > how to handle it.

Could an "extension" be -- "run this arbitrary Python script" ?

We've got a full featured scripting language (with batteries included!) --
isn't that all the extension you need?

Or is this about security? We don't want to let a package do virtually
anything on install?

-CHB

> Right, this is the intent of the "Required extension handling"
> feature:
> https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0426/#required-extension-handling
>
> If a package flags an extension as "installer_must_handle", then
> attempts to install that package are supposed to fail if the installer
> doesn't recognise the extension. Otherwise, installers are free to
> ignore extensions they don't understand.
>
> So meta-installers like canopy could add their own extensions to their
> generated wheel files, flag those extensions as required, and other
> installers would correctly reject those wheels as unsupported.
>
> Cheers,
> Nick.
>
> --

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov