[Distutils] name of the dependency problem

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Wed Apr 15 15:51:02 CEST 2015

Thanks to Justin & Daniel for some insights.

On 15/04/2015 14:28, Justin Cappos wrote:
> Yes, it's another way to solve the problem.  Both backtracking dependency
> resolution and ZYpp will always find a solution.  The tradeoff is really in
> how they function.  ZYpp is faster if there are a lot of dependencies that
> conflict.  The backtracking dependency resolution used in Stork is much
> easier for the user to understand why it chose what it did.
>
> An aside: I'm not necessarily convinced that you need to solve this problem
> automatically, instead of just raising an error when it occurs.  It should
> be quite rare in practice and as such may not be worth the complexity to
> have an automatic solution for the problem.

I think you are probably right. Not sure how deep the dependency graph can be,
but there could be quite a few candidates to check and presumably they have to
be downloaded and the dependency information obtained for each unique branch of
the decision tree.

> Thanks,
> Justin
>
> On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 8:55 AM, Daniel Holth <dholth at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZYpp
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 7:43 AM, Justin Cappos <jcappos at nyu.edu> wrote:
>>> First of all, I'm surprised that pip doesn't warn or error in this
>> case.  I

Robin Becker