[Distutils] Idea: move accepted interoperability specifications to packaging.python.org

Marcus Smith qwcode at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 18:40:33 CEST 2015

the PyPA site has a PEP reference that includes details on implementation:

    https://www.pypa.io/en/latest/peps

I don't think we need another reference in the Packaging User Guide
(PUG).   We could mention that the PyPA one exists in the PUG.

As for user-facing PEP docs, I think the docs for PUG/pip/setuptools/wheel
etc.. should handle that inline, and act as the layer that references (if
need be) the correct PEP that applies to the feature being described.

For example, the PUG references PEP440 in a few places.

Ideally, it should be a requirement to update the docs for the major
projects (and the PUG) *before* releasing a PEP-implementations into those
projects.

For example, a round of docs PRs prior to the release of PEP440 into pug &
pip  could have likely prevented the confusion over the meaning  of ">"
that unfortunately had to be sorted out after the release.