[Distutils] Proper handling of PEP420 namespace packages with setuptools and pip

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Fri Apr 24 01:57:46 CEST 2015

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 5:31 PM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

> This seems SO SIMPLE.

> What am I missing?
>
> Prior to PEP 420 you needed the dynamic path stuff because sometimes your
> namespace package is split across multiple locations on sys.path.

OK -- sure you'd need it then -- still not sure why we need to scatter
namespace packages all of the file system though -- or why we couldn't do
it the quick and dirty and easy way for most cases, anyway...

PEP 420 more or less solves all of the problems with namespace packages,
> other than it’s a Python 3 only feature so most people aren’t going to be
> willing to depend on it.

yeah there's always that -- maybe I'll revisit namespace packages when I've
made the full transition to py3...

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 4:38 PM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:

> This gets at the heart of the motivation for PEP 420, at least for me with
> my
> distro-developer hat on.  Any single file can only be owned by exactly one
> distro-level package.

I see -- that' a pain. though it seems to me to be a limitation of the
distro-packaging systems, not a python one -- though maybe we need to work
with it anyway...And distro packages need shared directories already --
seems like a lot of work for an empty __init__.py ;-)

Thanks for the clarification.

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov